Nike finally made self-lacing sneakers based on the design featured in the “Back to the Future” film. Now, we have self-balancing Hoverboards inspired by Marty McFly’s hoverboard. Hoverboard is a cross between a skateboard and a scooter, but it’s completely motorized. Hoverboard is one of the coolest personal mobility devices ever developed and it’s part toy and part transportation system. It’s exciting technology.
Perhaps you have seen kids in your neighborhood riding Hoverboards. You might remember the video of Mike Tyson comically falling off his daughter’s hoverboard shortly after the product was introduced. Hoverboards have popped up on late-night TV shows, at sporting events and on social media sites, presented by Justin Bieber, Nick Jonas, Kendall Jenner, Skrillex, Chris Brown and many other celebs. You don’t have to be a celeb to buy a Hoverboard because these self-balancing scooters are reasonably priced.
Finding Genuine Hoverboard Scooters
The original Hoverboard that is manufactured by Swagtron costs much less than competing personal transportation systems like the Segway miniPRO. Despite the price difference, Swagtron maintains a high level of quality. However, there are many low-cost hoverboards knockoffs that don’t offer the same safety or durability, so it’s important to purchase via retailer like Amazon. By spending a little bit more, you’ll get better battery life and avoid serious fire hazards. Genuine Hoverboards have many practical and versatile features, including a battery-life indicator and a learning mode for new riders.
- Hoverboards operate at variable speeds between 2 and 8 miles per hour. This compares to walking leisurely or jogging briskly.
- Depending on the terrain, rider’s weight and driving style, the battery will last up to 11 miles on a single charge.
- It takes about 1 hour for the battery to recharge. To avoid safety issues, use the original cable. Only charge the unit for the recommended time.
- At 22 pounds, the Hoverboard is light enough for most riders to carry by hand or in a specially made backpack.
- LED headlights improve rider safety in all conditions and increase visibility.
- Hoverboard has equipped with an indicator that shows the battery’s remaining capacity. It also includes safety features that prevent the layered lithium-ion battery from overheating, igniting or exploding.
- All Hoverboards and batteries must be certified by UL and meet the 2271 and 2272 standards for e-mobility devices. Swagway was the first company to have its hoverboards assessed by UL.
Using Your Hoverboard
Hoverboard has zero radius turning capabilities for precise control in tight areas. The Swagtron T1 model has upgraded gears that improve handling on hills. Riders can scale inclines as steep as 30 degrees. This model is ideal for use on all smooth surfaces, including sidewalks, paved green ways and shared paths. Use it instead of traveling with your bicycle, scooter or skateboard. It’s much faster than walking.
Self-balancing scooters are easy to use. Most people get the hang of it in 10 minutes and master the controls after an hour of practice. Start on the lawn so that you have additional control and don’t need to worry about falling onto a hard surface. If you’re having trouble gaining your balance, you can grab onto something or have a friend support you.
Step onto the Hoverboard confidently with one foot at a time. Start by balancing on the foot-pads without accelerating. For additional support, press the outside edges of your feet against the sides of the wheel covers. When you’re ready to get off, stop the hoverboard by moving your feet so that they are parallel to the ground. Then, step backward with one foot at a time. Pretty soon, you’ll be learning the entire hoverboard dance from Justin Bieber’s “What Do You Mean” video.
Hoverboards are fun, entertaining gadgets for kids and adults, that’s why they continue to be a bestseller. Check out reviews from verified buyers on Amazon to learn more about hoverboard types and models, before you buy.